Monday, November 1, 2010

"I wish I had some Jesus Jelly right now!"

I had class this morning at 9:30 and we talked about the exam and it's structure. I then went to the bank before going back to my flat. I didn't do much before my tute except watch some more of Dexter. Someone also fixed the shower because the handle on the hot water broke off somehow. I then had the tute where we talked about the essay on the exam. I also got my paper back and I barely passed. Again. Hopefully I'll do better on the final and raise my grade. I then took a shower when I got back and watched more Dexter until MCU village bible study.


We had a Colossal Colossians discussion, as one of the students said. Phoebe lead the discussion and we talked about an overview of Colossians since we finished it last week. We broke into groups to discuss the various points. My group consisted of Tracie, Matt, Joel, and myself. We then all got together to make a chart linking the four points. During that part Matt couldn't read what Phoebe had written on the board and he asked if it said jelly. It then lead to a conversation where Nathalie said the quote for my title. We also prayed in our groups and I prayed for all of the patients and families of brain tumour patients.  


After bible study, I stayed for a while after and we started talking about weddings. One of the students is going back to Singapore over break because his sister is getting married. Steve and Melinda started talking about weddings in Australia and some customs. They seem to vary about times, but from what they said they often have afternoon tea or just dinner but not the big party like we have in the States. (or at least the weddings I've been to) The guy who is going to his sister's wedding also talked about Singaporean traditions and the one I thought was interesting was that the groom goes to get the bride, but her sisters/friends try to block him and make him do crazy things to get to her. It's kind of ironic we talked about weddings because when I got back I had just one more episode of Season 3 of Dexter and in it he gets married. 


Brain Tumour Facts from my statuses today:

The combined five-year survival rates for childhood brain tumors has increased slowly, from 54 percent to approximately 60 percent. However, for some pediatric brain tumors (e.g., brain stem gliomas, atypical teritoid/rhabdoid and glioblastoma multifome), long-term survival rates remain below 20 percent. 


Pediatric brain tumors are different from those in adults and are often treated differently.


A brain tumor can have a devastating effect that completely changes a person’s personality and abilities.


Brain tumors are difficult to diagnose; their symptoms often mimic other diseases. Their cause is unknown.

In US in 2010, 62,930 new cases of primary brain tumors are expected, 23,720 malignant and 39,210 benign. 

Unlike other benign tumors, benign brain tumors may recur and may result in death.

The Big 10 Brain Tumours in Children are:

• Astrocytomas (mine was an astrocytoma)
• Malignant Gliomas (Anaplastic, Astrocytoma and Gioblastoma)
• Oligodendrogliomas (low and high grade)
• Craniopharyngiomas
• Ependymomas
• Germ Cell Tumors
• Primitive Neuro-Ectodermal Tumors (PNETs)
• Atypical Teratoid/Rhabdoid Tumors
• Chroroid Plexus Papilloma/Carncinoma
• Meningioma
 

76 percent of children diagnosed with a brain tumor are younger than 15. 

Every day nine children in the U.S. are diagnosed with a brain tumor. 

Brain tumors have no socio-economic boundaries and do not discriminate among gender or ethnicity. 

28,000 children in the U.S. are living with the diagnosis of a primary brain tumor. 

More than 359,000 people in the U.S. were living with a diagnosis of a primary brain and central nervous system tumor in the year 2000.

While you shower, dress, & eat breakfast today, 22 people in the US will be diagnosed with a brain tumor.

No comments: