Sunday, October 24, 2010

2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilo-mockingbird

My friends went to the beach today and I was planning on going, but I realized that I needed to stay home and do my homework. I have a lot of things due on Tuesday and Wednesday. Basically all I did today was read for my in class essays on Tuesday and watch a doco for my class tomorrow. The doco was really sad because it was about an Aboriginal that died in custody. He was arrested after a random breathalizer test while driving where his blood alcohol was 4x the legal limit. After being in jail overnight, they had him sent to another jail or something in the heat of day in the back of a metal truck that didn't have working air conditioning or windows. They didn't check on him either. The temperature inside where he was rose to 56 C, which is 132.8F. They eventually checked on him and took him to the hospital, but he had no pulse. He then died in the hospital. I can't really think many worse ways of dying than being cooked to death!

Since I didn't really do much today, I'll talk about another suggestion for my blog. My sister, Jacki, requested that I talk about the use of the metric system in Australia. Of course the US uses the English system, but having so many science classes in my life, I know some conversions. I do constantly have to convert some things, though. For example, I know that a kilometre is roughly 0.6 miles and a yard and a metre are about equal. I never know temperatures, because the conversions are a whole math formula. I do know that 40C is 104F from my health sciences class senior year of high school and 30C is about 86F and 25C is 78F. One conversion that I never thought about and didn't know was kilojoules to calories. I looked it up when I first got here and I think it was around 4 calories per kilojoule, but since I don't need to count calories I don't care. My phone has an application that allows me to convert things or I use www.convert-me.com. That website was one that my chemistry professor told us Freshman year at Hope and it's come in handy.

I got the title from yahoo answers when I searched google for metric system jokes. :P

3 comments:

Therese said...

Hahaha-it took me a couple seconds to get the joke :)

Brad said...

I think you should have a new topic about Australian humor. You have shown a lot of signs and printed items that are pretty funny.

How is it different than the US? Do you "get" all of their humor (or is it humour?)?

Caitlin said...

Every time I see this title I laugh to myself :P