Saturday, October 16, 2010

All was well

Today(/yesterday since I wrote this over two days) was more of the usual with homework and stuff. My parents had sent me a message on facebook that my sister and her family had gotten there for the weekend last night/ my this morning. They came up because of the Michigan/Iowa football game and some other friends were coming to town. I was still sleeping when they sent the message, but I got to talk to them tonight/their morning. They told me that I need to stop writing about the boring things about my life (ie naps and studying) and write about other stuff. Also, when I was talking to my parents etc on skype, I saw a spider in my room. It wasn't huge, but I HATE SPIDERS! I couldn't kill it because it fell or something before I squashed it. My parents and Jillian were making fun of me and saying that I was going to eat it in my sleep. Right when I stopped talking to them, the spider came back and I got it! All I could think is 'All was well,' which is especially dorky because that's the last line of Harry Potter. :) Also, my sister told me that my Grandma said hi, so I want to say Hi back. :)

They told me to talk about the differences in Australia and to do something new each day and blog about that. So I'm going to try to do that. One of the things that they thought was interesting is that I said that almost everything here is actually made here. Unlike the US where almost everything is imported. The fruits and vegetables have the 'Australian grown' symbol below and other things say 'Australian made' or 'Australian owned.' Things also can have a different taste than what they do in America probably as a result of being grown somewhere else. The peanut butter tastes really different. I didn't realize this until my parents sent me a care package which included JIF peanut butter. I had finished my peanut butter from Australia and opened the JIF one. JIF has more of a roasted taste. I love both of them, but you shouldn't change peanut butter within a few days because I didn't like the second one I ate at first. I guess you have to get used to the flavour or something. The pop/ 'fizzy drink' also tastes different because they have sugar instead of High fructose corn syrup. (I prefer the high fructose corn syrup, but I'm getting used to the sprite here.) I also noticed a difference in the Snickers since the chocolate is again from Australia.  

My parents also wanted me to mention something about the drinking age (which is 18), but I had no idea what to say. My flatemate had some friends over and as I was in the middle of writing this, Carrie and Sam knocked on my door. They told me to go out with all of them. I told Carrie that I didn't have any 'going out' clothes, so she looked in my closet and picked something out for me. It's a good thing I bought that $5 jean skirt! It took a while to get everyone organized and we kept going to different flats, but eventually we got to Perth. The area is called Northbridge, and there are a ton of clubs there. To get to Perth from Murdoch, you have to take the bus to Murdoch Station and then the train into Perth. It seemed like we were waiting forever at both places. The club that we went to was Paramount. The  people that we were with were Carrie, Sam, Mini, Ria, Connor, Brendan, his sister Elanore, and Tracy (a girl from Curtin). 

When we got in line there, a huge fight broke out. I was kinda scared because everyone in security was involved and it was getting really close to us since we were in a line with metal guardrail things kind of like the ones at an amusement park. I couldn't really go anywhere, but I stayed toward the back of our section as people wanted to see and I wanted to be away from it. There were even two security people on horses that came. I guess they always have them walking around and they call them when needed. They eventually got all of those people kicked out and the security or police or what not took them away.

We then proceeded in line again. Every time I need my ID to get in somewhere I get nervous because I'm afraid they'll think it's fake because I 'can't possibly be 20.' We needed two IDs to get in, I used my passport and my Uni ID because the second one didn't have to be a government one. I got in fine, although the girl that was checking my passport after the guy that checked the two IDs and gave us the stamp looked at my passport longer than anyone else's ID. (Although that could have just been my imagination.) It was a lot of fun! They had a band downstairs and a DJ upstairs. We also met one guy (Jason) and his sister or friend that's like a sister (Sara) and they were with us for a lot of the night. On a few occasions he said to me that he doesn't understand how I do it sober and that it amazes him or something to that effect. (Yes, I didn't drink since well, I don't drink :P) 

We were supposed to leave before two because that's when the last train runs. It is really hard to get everyone together to leave and we ended up missing the last train. Jason was trying to convince us to walk back to Murdoch, but there was no way. According to google maps, it's about 16km from Perth to Murdoch, which is about 10 miles! No way that was happening! Since we missed the train, we were there for a longer. Then we kept trying to get everyone together so that we could leave. It ended up being a mess because when one person came another left. We did eventually all get together and Connor paid for the taxi back to Murdoch. He then decided that he was going to make chicken nuggets for everyone and so Connor and Brendan made them in our flat. Carrie went home, Sam, Mini, Heath (who was working when we left), Ria, Connor and Brendan (obviously) all came over. I didn't want any chicken nuggets but I stayed out there because I wouldn't have been able to go to sleep with them out there anyway, I was too lazy to get up off the couch, and as a sociology major drunk people are very amusing!

 I'm not sure what time we got back, but by the time I got into my bed it was almost 5. It was after 5 by the time I finally fell asleep. That's why this post is about a day late. haha. I'm still exhausted because I forced myself to get up at about 12 because I have so much work to do today. 


My parents also thought that I should talk about my stats for my blog. In the past week I have had viewers from the US, South Korea, Portugal, Australia, Slovenia, Congo, Israel, and Trinidad & Tobago. It got me wanting to know more about these people from all over the world, so please feel free to leave a comment. I'm interested in knowing who reads my blog. Also, if there is anything that you want me to talk about, leave it in the comments. 


(Also, figured out how to change the date stamp so this actually says the right date on it!)

2 comments:

Jacki said...

Sounds like a good time! I like these posts with more activity than naps and making chicken. :)

Brad said...

Looks like you are trying out more things...good for you.

I hope you continue to take advantage of the awesome opportunity you have to study in Australia.

Love ya,
Poppy