Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"We're not here to think; we're here to learn."

I woke up this morning and read my prelab. I then watch Glee from yesterday. After I finished reading the second part of my prelab, I went to the CIEE office to print out the questions since they are not in the lab manual. On my way to the CIEE office, I saw a cute little marsupial rat/mouse looking thing. I should really learn to bring my camera everywhere. I also saw some butterflies. :)

Lab was extremely boring today! For the first two hours we were in the lab on the laptops. We were given a data set and had to figure out information about if the population was declining and if certain factors were related to the decline. At least we were working in groups, but we had no idea what we were doing. It was one of those times that my excel skills fail me. At the end of the two hours the tutors (they are like TAs except they either are in graduate school or have their PhD already but are still pretty young) explained what we should have found. I made a statement to my group that the instructions should have been in the handout, to which one of the members of my group said the title of this post. I thought it was funny because the whole point of school is that you learn to think for yourself! The second half of lab we went down to the computer lab and Hugh walked us through the linear regression for our field study report. We used a program called SPSS, which for the people that have taken stats at Hope it is the same as PASW. We did statistics for the whole four hours. It was the worst/most boring lab I've ever done. (Well, maybe not the worst since I took a year of general chemistry and part of Orgo.)

It was so cold on my walk back that I felt like it was fall in Michigan instead of spring in Australia! I also hate not having daylight savings time. I want it to be light later, not earlier! When I got back I didn't do much. I got distracted on a virtual makeover site and have been trying different hair styles and colours on my picture to try and decide what I'll do with my hair once I cut it. I think I still have quite a few months until I can finally donate it (maybe spring break in March?). I'm also thinking about dying my hair more of an auburn/lighter brown. Ever since I realized last year how much darker my hair has gotten since I was younger I've been thinking about it. Especially with the amount of time I've been looking at old pictures.

No comments: