Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Octavius!

I wanted to wake up early today because I need to read my book and didn't have class until the afternoon. I ended up just sleeping more, but I did get up at 9:30, which isn't bad. I then checked my email and such and read a little bit. I then made fries for lunch and watched Glee. I was then going to go back and read some more, but when I checked my email I had one saying that I got a parcel today. I went to check the mail and got my pink slip for a package out and took it to the office. Octavius had arrived! (For those who don't know, he's a statue about 10 inches tall that my extended family on the Roth side takes on vacations and such. My cousin made a 'flat Octavius' and sent him to me.) This is a picture from my webcam of Octavius and me in my room.

I then had lab at 1:30. It was stupid because we had a free hour because we were divided into groups and had rotations. The group that I was in had our free hour first, except we needed to be there at the beginning to go over some information. We also got our lab reports back for our bird observation that we did a few weeks ago. I got a 7/10, which is a Distinction!!! I did not think I even passed because I used almost no references, but that was pretty much the only marks I got off. (and a few things could have been worded better/more scientifically) I came to the conclusion that the science classes here are graded with the same difficulty as the ones at Hope, except the grading scale is different so 70% would convert to an A- instead of a C. I then went to the library to see where the computer lab where we had to be in an hour for that section was and then I went to the Cafe area. I got a sprite and read some more of my book. Paul was also there so we talked for a few minutes.

I continued reading until it was time to go to the computer lab to start the data analysis for our field study report. There weren't enough computers, so Fiona (one of my lab partners during the field study) and I shared. We were doing a Chi-squared test. I wasn't exactly sure how to do it in excel, but after he got us started I figured it out easily and we were done before everyone else. Sometimes I think I underestimate my knowledge of excel. I'm by no means a pro at it, but I've had quite a bit of practice with doing statistics and with using excel for various things. (I still never did the excel lab we were supposed to do, but nothing had to get turned in so I don't care) After that portion, we went back to our lab room where Hugh went over the report we just got handed back and the one we have to do for the field study. He didn't have an average for the lab, but he said the range was something like 2-9.5 out of 10. I can't imagine getting a 2! I feel that Hope really prepares us on writing reports since there were a lot of people that did poorly here. Especially since I know that wasn't my best work and I got a 7! He then went over the format he wants for the field study report. We have to format it like you would a manuscript to the journal 'Wildlife Research.' I think I'll type it the way I like it then change the formatting right before I print it because the line numbers and such look annoying!

After lab, I came back and I don't remember what I did so I probably just went on facebook. I also made a stand for Octavius so that I can stand him up for pictures. I also had Maggi noodles for dinner. I haven't read since my hour break, but I have a headache now so I don't think I'll be reading too much before falling asleep.

No comments: