Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Penny for your thoughts?

I didn't have class today because my lab ended last week. I woke up early and went to the library. My internet was still down so I wasn't able to check my mail or finalize my lab report until I got there. I made some final edits to my report (My last one ever, since I'm done with my Biology minor after this class!) and then went to the CIEE office to print my lab report and my documents II exercise for Aboriginal Colonised History that were both due today. I printed them, turned them in, and was back to my flat before 11:30. I was very proud of myself for not procrastinating too much and literally finishing about an hour before I had to turn it in like I did on my last report. I came back and watched Glee and Rocky Horror Picture Show. Since that was the theme on Glee this week and I had never seen it before, I wanted to watch it, but it was incredibly weird! I also saw that the class offerings for next semester at Hope are now online, so I played around making a schedule. I actually may only have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays! Oh and I almost forgot about my crazy magpies experience. For those at Hope, I feel that Magpies are like black squirrels in the way that everyone has a story about them attacking them or scaring them. I went to get a popsicle from the kitchen today, and as I walked in a few of them, maybe 3, got up and flew out the door. Apparently one of my flatmates had left the sliding door open and they came in. I'm not sure what they were eating, but at least I know that I don't keep any food laying around in the kitchen. I then closed the door and they gave me an evil look and I could just sense that they were mad at me.


My next blog idea is about Australian currency. They use the Australian dollar, or AUD. The conversion is very similar to the USD. When I first came in July the exchange rate was around 91 AUD cents for every USD. Now, with the bad economy, the USD is going down and the AUD is going up so the exchange is 0.986. I try to see the positive in this that I won't lose as much money when I convert my additional money back to the US. The notes come in 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100. The coins are in 5, 10, 20 or 50 cents and 1 or 2 dollars. You may notice that the penny or one cent piece is missing. They don't have one. (The site where I got the pictures from said that the 1 and 2 cent pieces were phased out in 1990) Unless you pay with a credit card, they round your purchase. This could be either up or down, whatever is closer to the 5 cent rounding. I think it's usually less, though. Everything also includes the tax in the price on the price tag. This is an awesome thing. You know exactly what you are going to pay before you get up there. For more information on the money, see this link.

No comments: