Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The grass is always greener

I woke up this morning and worked on my paper before I ate lunch. I then had lab at 1:30. It was my last biology lab ever!!! We did life tables, which were pretty boring, but a lot less complicated than they were a year ago in Biology 280. That data took hours upon hours to analyse! I got done early, at 4 instead of 5:30, and came back to write more of my paper. I finished writing it, but was taking a break before editing it. Then Carrie chatted with me on facebook to ask if I wanted to watch Vampires Suck again because she really wanted to see it. She came over and we talked to the people that were over here before they went out (basically all the people from Saturday) while the movie was buffering (not sure if that's the word). I just love that movie and Carrie really enjoyed it too.

 The thing I am going to talk about is how Australia is greener than the US. Next to every garbage can there is a recycling can. In the first picture the green one is for recycling and the red is for waste. Those are all of campus, but the ones on the right are what is in the village. The yellow lid indicates recycling. Not only do they recycle, but there is more of an emphasis on reusable bags. I have even been to a clothing store where they give you your purchase in a reusable bag. The Murdoch Uni book store does this too. You also get reusable plastic containers at restaurants instead of styrofoam containers. Finally public transportation is huge with the TransPerth system. You can easily travel to Perth or anywhere nearby with the buses or trains. They also run on natural gas. There are also just more places that emphasis sustainability and taking care of the land.



Also, please leave comments for what you want me to talk about. I'm going to run out of interesting things to say quickly without help!

4 comments:

Brad said...

Interesting stuff.

Jacki said...

Have you watched any Australian TV? Any differences in the types of shows that are popular or the commercials they show?

Anonymous said...

Do they have self check outs at the grocery store like we do. Also do they have 10 check out lines and only two open (with long lines waiting) like we do. That always bugs me. Are the cashiers friendly?

Therese said...

Can you talk about the different holidays they celebrate? I'm sure they don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but how about Halloween? Do they have a lot of decorations out for Christmas already in the stores? What are some additional holidays that they celebrate but Americans don't?