Thursday, October 21, 2010

"I'm trying to stuff frozen vegetables in my purse!"

Today was my day off, so it wasn't too exciting. Corin, Carrie, and I went to the store at 10 to buy food etc. As somebody asked about the grocery store checkouts, I'll talk about that. Where I shop is a shopping centre called Kardinya that is about a 15-20 minute walk from Uni. It has a quite a few different stores, like Kmart, Coles, a fruit/veggie store, clothing stores, a post office, etc. It isn't that big and there are maybe 5-6 checkouts. There aren't any self-check outs. They do have some 5 items or less check outs at Kmart and I think the ones at Coles are 12 items or less. They are all always open, though, and sometimes even the Customer Service area checks people out if there is a longer line. The cashiers are also all pretty nice. I don't recall ever having one that was rude to me. Today's title comes from Corin as she was trying to carry all of her groceries so that she didn't need to bring the cart back.

I then went to MCU common time at 12:30 where Frank Nicol, the husband of one of the MCU adult people and an MCU-alum, was the speaker. He talked about the passage Matthew 12:22-37. I then came home and watch my shows online and ate lunch. Today on Bush Court, was Stamp out stress day. I guess it was because finals are in a few weeks and they want us to relax, so they had some special stuff. They had a teacup ride, which is the first picture. They also had a massage tent and I think a few other things. Thursdays are also Market Day around Bush Court. There are tables/booths set up with things like Jewelry, Candles, Books, Fruit/Vegetables, and even printers! The second picture is of one side of the market.
Stamp Out Stress at Bush Court
Market Day



















The other thing that I was asked about by my sister was TV. I haven't watch a lot of Australian tv, but I did watch it once or twice at the beginning of the semester with my flatmates. It's pretty similar to US tv. Actually, a lot of their shows are just American shows, but they have a delay for when it is shown. I remember in the first few weeks that I got here, I was at Corin's flat and they were advertising the finale of Law and Order: SVU, which was on in America probably 4 months before. Two and a Half Men and the Simpsons are also popular here. There are some shows that are different, such as a soap opera called Neighbours that my flatmate watches and Master Chef. There are also other shows that are just similar to the ones in America, but with Australian people and Australian themes, shows like a group of people talking about celebrity news and celebrity countdown type shows. The commercials are also similar. Subway even has the Australian version of five dollar footlong, but it is 7 AUD and they don't have the jingle. I also thought it was weird that they still referred to it as a footlong even though they use the metric system in Australia.

1 comment:

Brad said...

I supposed Footlong sounds better than .3048 Meters!